Erroneous Judgement

Erroneous Judgement
Erroneous Judgement
Quick Summary of Erroneous Judgement

Erroneous judgement refers to a situation where a court commits an error in its decision-making process. Such errors can occur despite the court’s authority to make the decision. However, it is possible for the court to rectify an erroneous judgement either on its own or through the process of appeal.

Full Definition Of Erroneous Judgement

A court’s final determination of the rights and obligations of the parties in a case that contains an improper application of law is known as an erroneous judgement. Although this type of judgement is not void, it can be rectified through a trial.

Erroneous Judgement FAQ'S

An erroneous judgment refers to a legal decision made by a court that is incorrect or based on a mistake of fact or law.

To determine if a judgment is erroneous, you should consult with a legal professional who can review the case and assess if any errors were made in the application of the law or the interpretation of facts.

Yes, you can appeal an erroneous judgment. By filing an appeal, you are requesting a higher court to review the lower court’s decision and correct any errors that may have occurred.

The process for appealing an erroneous judgment involves filing a notice of appeal within the specified time frame, submitting a written brief outlining the errors made, and presenting oral arguments before the appellate court.

If the appellate court determines that the judgment is erroneous, it may reverse or modify the decision, and in some cases, order a new trial or remand the case back to the lower court for further proceedings.

In certain circumstances, you may be able to seek compensation for damages caused by an erroneous judgment. However, proving that the judgment directly caused harm can be challenging, and it is advisable to consult with a lawyer to assess the viability of your claim.

Yes, there are specific time limits for challenging an erroneous judgment. These time limits vary depending on the jurisdiction and the type of case, so it is crucial to consult with an attorney promptly to ensure you meet the applicable deadlines.

In some cases, an erroneous judgment can be corrected without going through the appeals process. This may occur if the court that issued the judgment realizes its mistake and voluntarily corrects it, or if the parties reach a settlement agreement that addresses the error.

If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, you may be eligible for legal aid or pro bono services provided by nonprofit organisations or law firms. Additionally, some jurisdictions offer self-help resources and assistance for individuals who wish to appeal a judgment without legal representation.

Yes, you can file a complaint against a judge who consistently issues erroneous judgments. Each jurisdiction has its own process for filing complaints against judges, and it is advisable to follow the specific procedures outlined by the relevant judicial disciplinary authority.

Related Phrases
No related content found.

This site contains general legal information but does not constitute professional legal advice for your particular situation. Persuing this glossary does not create an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. If you have specific questions, please consult a qualified attorney licensed in your jurisdiction.

This glossary post was last updated: 6th June 2024.

Cite Term

To help you cite our definitions in your bibliography, here is the proper citation layout for the three major formatting styles, with all of the relevant information filled in.

  • Page URL:
  • Modern Language Association (MLA):Erroneous Judgement. DLS Solicitors. June 23 2024
  • Chicago Manual of Style (CMS):Erroneous Judgement. DLS Solicitors. (accessed: June 23 2024).
  • American Psychological Association (APA):Erroneous Judgement. Retrieved June 23 2024, from website:
Avatar of DLS Solicitors
DLS Solicitors : Family Law Solicitors

Our team of professionals are based in Alderley Edge, Cheshire. We offer clear, specialist legal advice in all matters relating to Family Law, Wills, Trusts, Probate, Lasting Power of Attorney and Court of Protection.

All author posts